Monday, January 19, 2009

Jan 19th - Prof Club

From here to everywhere.
Starting with Civil Engineering Lee’s weekend and ending with a decision to talk about social capital again on Wednesday, my professors’ class was around the world, through history and the future and back within two hours.

I mentioned that we would watch a 20 minute lecture on fora.tv about a topic of their choice, we instead chatted about Obama, the inauguration, hope, President Lee Myung-Bak, the green economy, the creation of the Israeli state, and who Jesus is in Judaic, Christian and Islamic religious traditions before transferring to the English Lounge to watch the Entertainment Group’s video of Amory Lovins.

After watching the video we talked about energy, the environment, alternatives, education and the intelligence of our students who have very different literacies than we do.

Prof Lee Hee Jae kept piquing my interest with small tidbits of info. “Transport” a movie from Ukraine. People dying around Gangjin from the solar energy complex. And how feng shui can help create the new learning spaces of the future.

The objective of a classroom is to gather people to learn together because it is an efflicient and fast way to learn from experts.

The objective of having a teacher is to manage and lead a group within the learning process.

On demand learning with expert access in a personal style that is sticky with a cross section of community members that synergize the learning process.


I think classrooms and teachers may not survive the future since we have finally tipped with Obama being elected. His election, the economic crisis, the fact that the US government has the auto industry by the balls, the mainstreaming and dissemination of scientific and economic realities and inventions, all stack up for a bumpy, but inevitable ride into the next decade.

In five years, I forsee (ok - hope):
North and South Korea reunite peacefully.
China set trends for environmental conservation.
Elimination of nuclear power and warfare.
My earrings being my headset, my bracelet being my wireless, amy necklace being my capture tools, my glasses being my display screen, rings on my fingers being my input tools, and I will add a tiara for my mix with a webcam in it.
Depowering of transnationals.
Emergence of global small business laws.
Transparency required for all public access of spaces and materials.
Freedoms and privileges will have inseparable responsibilities and costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment